Families are the compass that guide us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter. -- Brad Henry

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Rockdale

When you're from small town Texas, you never really leave.  My hometown of Rockdale (population 5,611) made the football state championships for Division 3A, so I had to go watch it.  My Tigers played in the Cowboys stadium in Arlington.



It was a mini-reunion for the Class of 1989.  So much fun hanging out with the gang and tailgating before the big game!


I was surprised to see my uncle there (and Godfather!), who came out to support the team.  Our main running back had recently signed with Oklahoma, so he wanted to watch.  My brother, Joe, enjoyed seeing his classmates from 1986 & 1987.



It was an incredible game!  The Tigers had not been to the championships since 1976, and the team was really nervous.  The story to get here was one of triumph, overcoming adversity with losing key coaches and players suddenly throughout the season to heart attacks and cancer.  We were down 21-0 at one point, but the spirit didn't die.  We came back to win it 45-29 and brought back the championship trophy!


As student council president during my senior year of high school, it was my job to ring the bell during touch downs and field goals.  Same bell, same great ring!  Yes, kids, go ahead and make fun of me.  You know you're jealous.

Afterwards, we headed to the farm for a few days.  I didn't get to fish, hike, or do the needed chores, but I did enjoy seeing the whole family together.


And the cousins enjoyed their time together as well.