Families are the compass that guide us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter. -- Brad Henry

Saturday, May 4, 2024

Sole 2 Soul

I signed up to be part of a 2nd hiking group. This one is affiliated with veterans and family members of those serving in the military. The group has about 18 total, but our training hikes usually have 8-10.

The group is called Sole to Soul, and we're training for a 4-day hike on the Appalachian Trail. It doesn't take long to see why the group is so aptly named. Being out here is so peaceful!


Most of the hikers are former military who served in Afganistan, Iraq, and other conflicts. Their stories are slowly being shared as we get to know each other. 


I'm one of the anomalies since I've never served myself. But having a son in the Army Reserves and a husband in the SC State Guard, I'm welcomed with full support. My other hiking group, the nonprofit CEOs, had a link to this one and introduced me.


My hiking speed is a bit on the faster side, so this group is good for me to slow my pace and enjoy being in the moment.


As we build up our stamina with more miles and higher elevation gain, we're also gradually increasing the weight of our packs. The leads also provide training during our breaks with first aid, camping skills, and cooking demonstrations.


We hike on the training days as scheduled, regardless of the weather, terrain, or who can make it. 


Our lunch spots have the best views!



We don't rest too long or our muscles will tighten. It's time to get back on the trail.


Several more hikes to go before September's AT. Not a bad way to stay in shape!