Families are the compass that guide us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter. -- Brad Henry

Friday, April 2, 2021

Training, Part 1

I decided to join fellow nonprofit directors on a 5-day hike at the end of May.  Once committed, training needed to start right away.  We have to be able to carry a 15lb pack and cover 15-16 miles per day.

Besides my daily 2-mile walk around the neighborhood, my regimen includes a long walk/hike on the weekends.  I began with an easy, road walk of 10 miles with a half-way destination point.


My treat for making it the first 5 miles was a Bojangles biscuit, fries, and tea.  Plus, a quick text to the family that I made it. 


I couldn't help but noticed all the trash on the side of the road.  (Littering is NOT cool, by the way.)  So on the walk home when one of the littered items was an empty trash bag, I had to take action.  This large 13-gallon bag was stuffed to the brim after only 300 yards.  I think I'll start carrying trash bags on all my walks from now on.