Families are the compass that guide us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter. -- Brad Henry

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Genome Project

Eric & I participated in a National Geographic Genome project to trace our ancestry.  Both of us were surprised at the results, although some things were expected.  Eric's family had always known they were of Czech and Irish decent.  I knew I had a lot of Northern Germany in my roots, especially after visiting relatives there several years ago.

Here are the results...

Eric
Percent of population tested (est. 800,000) with a similar genome haplogroup as him is 1.4%.  Meaning, about 1.4% of other participants shared his genetic markers. 


He is 1.2% Neanderthal, a little less than the average human alive today.

Here's the breakdown of his results:

37%  Czech                                                
22%  Germany/Austria                                
18%  Scandinavia  (Norway/Sweden)         
15%  Ireland/Scottland                                
   8%  Southern Europe (Italy/Spain/Greece)
100%                                                               

Notice how there is NO percentage of Native Alaskan, Native American, or anything that would suggest his ancestry came from Alaska.  An important point we've discussed for 20 years.


This last section was not much of a surprise.  With a last name like McConnell, it's definitely a Scott-Irish name.  Here is where his most recent ancestors migrated from before coming to the US.


Now onto my results.......

Dana

Percent of population tested (est. 800,000) with a similar genome haplogroup as me is 0.1%.  Meaning, there are virtually no other participants with my same genetic markers. 



I am only 1% Neanderthal, which was surprising.  I actually expected to be higher.

Here's the breakdown of my results:

51%  German/Dutch  (Germany/Belgium)     
35%  Scandinavia  (Norway/Sweden)           
12%  Southern Europe  (Italy/Spain/Greece)
   2%  Central Asia  (Kazakhstan/Uzbekistan) 
100%                                                                 


This last section surprised me the most.  I've traced my dad's family history back 100 years and actually had a chance to meet them in Weseke, Germany (close to Belgium).  If I traced my mom's family history back before they migrated to the US, they would be heavily concentrated in Libya/Algeria.