Families are the compass that guide us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter. -- Brad Henry

Tuesday, November 16, 2021

SC SofS

The nonprofit organization I work for, the Center for Developmental Services, was recognized as a 2021 Angel by the SC Secretary of State Mark Hammond. I received that award in Columbia at the State House.

This award can only be received once during a charity's lifetime for being good stewards of public funding. To qualify, the charity must:

  • Be timely in registering their license and submitting financial reports to the state
  • Use at least 80% of revenue on programs that benefit the community
  • Make good use of volunteer time
  • Not rely heavily on government grants
Each charity was allowed to bring 2 representatives. When my board chair and vice-chair were unable to attend, I phoned my son to see if he would be interested in joining me. After promising him lunch afterwards, he agreed.


The local news broadcast the ceremony. But guess who got the most airtime? My son (or rather his phone). 😂  You can watch the news clip here: https://www.wyff4.com/angels