Families are the compass that guide us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter. -- Brad Henry

Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Vaccine

As a mother of three and the director of a special needs organization, I'm very familiar with the vaccine debate.  It's unfortunate that so much misinformation is spread on social media and within parent circles.  I, for one, advocate for the protection of our children and the human race from debilitating and/or fatal diseases caused by viruses that can be prevented by vaccines.


So, when given the opportunity to participate in a COVID-19 trial, I jumped at the chance.  It's the Moderna mRNA vaccine.  I was given two injections 30 days a part and had a 50/50 chance of the vaccine vs. a placebo.  It's a blind study, so I wasn't told which injection I'd receive.  They gave me a thermometer and ruler to monitor my vitals and an app to document my symptoms.

After the first dose, I had very little reaction.  There was a slight redness and tenderness at the injection site and a little muscle soreness in my left arm.  It reminded me of a tetanus shot.  To remedy, I used 5 lb weights to do some arm exercises so that the serum was distributed quicker.  

After the second dose, the reaction was a bit stronger.  Again there was a little redness and soreness in my arm, but I was expecting that.  Around 26 hours after injection, I experieced a slight fever that never got higher than 99.8℉ with minor chills.  But instead of lasting for days, these symptoms lasted only about 4 hours.  Without taking any medication, I slept fine and woke up feeling great with a normal (for me) temperature of 97.5℉.  No further temp issues or chills were noted.  By the end of Day 2, I felt one of the lymph nodes in my neck was enlarged.  This was a normal reaction for a human body that's exposed to something foreign, but still worth noting on my app.  I'm now convinced I received the vaccine and not the placebo.


Despite the few discomforts experienced with this vaccine, I would much prefer these brief symptoms than 14 days of pure agony that many people have to endure with COVID-19.  I didn't have to miss a day of work, I didn't have to miss a hug/kiss with my family, and I won't have to bear the guilt of exposing (unintentionally) an immunocompromised individual to this devastating virus.  For those reasons, I'm so happy to have been selected to participate.  

While the study is still not complete, early indications give me confidence that this vaccine (or a similar one) will soon be able to protect our loved ones who are most vulnerable.  In the mean time, I plan to continue to wear my mask in public because (1) others don't know I've been vaccinated, and (2) the efficacy of the vaccine has not been finalized.  Prayers for all who have suffered so much from this disease. 🙏