Families are the compass that guide us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter. -- Brad Henry

Monday, September 10, 2018

1st Visit

I have a meeting in Columbia once a month, so I used this opportunity to stop by USC and see Luke.  Since I wasn't able to help him move in, this was my first time to see his dorm in person.


Although the space was furnished, he wanted me to bring a few items to make it look more comfortable.  So, I picked up a rug and throw pillows to add a splash of color.


I was pleased to see the sheets off his bed (on the right), meaning he's at least thinking about washing them. 


We then ate at one of the cafeteria's on campus.  This one was really nice and offered made-to-order grilled burgers, a fresh salad bar, a hot buffet, and sandwiches.  


We were a little rushed in our visit because he had class in 45 min, but I appreciated him taking the time to meet me.  I returned the favor by giving him a ride across campus to the business school instead of his usual 20 min. walk.


And now just a week later, it's de ja vu on another hurricane like when his older sister was in the USC dorms and campus had shut down.  I asked if he had enough food to prepare for lockdown, and this was the selfie I got back...


I guess I'm not worried anymore.  He'll be fine.